Friday, January 4, 2008
Playoff Interview Special: Washington Redskins
You all know the drill: I'm interviewing a fan of each Wild Card team in anticipation of the playoffs. Well, it's the same deal here except that I'm actually interviewing someone who was beneficial in me beginning to write about sports. I've visited his sports blog daily for the past year and a half and it is an honor to get his answers to my questions about his favorite NFL team: The Washington Redskins. Who is the interviewee you ask? Chris Chase (http://www.chrischase.com). Go read it, it's fantastic.
Football Crack (FC): What was your favorite moment from the Redskins regular season?
Chris: On Christmas Eve morning I was walking around a Best Buy in
FC: Least favorite?
Chris: The second defensive play of the
FC: As much as I love Sean Taylor and would like to focus many questions of this interview on him, I'm only going to ask one question about him: What is your favorite Sean-Tay moment of all time?
Chris: Week 2, Monday night, 2005. After outlasting the Bears in week 1, the 'Skins were down 13-0 to the Cowboys with 3:56 remaining. Two fourth-down conversions and Brunell-to-Moss bombs later, they were up 14-13, but with plenty of time remaining on the clock. A long kickoff return by Tyson Thompson set-up the Cowboys in good field position. A few plays later, they were on the edge of field goal range when Drew Bledsoe threw to Patrick Crayton on a 3rd and 4. Crayton caught the ball right at the marker and appeared set to move the chains and, likely, get the Cowboys into range for the game-winning field goal.
But, out of nowhere, SeanTay laid his helment in Crayton's chest and the ball flew backwards seven yards. It was an incomplete pass. The Redskins went on to win. That's the forgotten play of that memorable game, but it was just as important as the two TD bombs.
FC: I remember watching that hilarious Clinton Portis hot dog clip on your site a month or two back. What was your favorite quirky Clinton Portis moment this season?
Chris: His outfit after the Cowboys game; hands down.
FC: Out of all the Redskins rookies that have played this year, who would you give the Redskins Rookie of the Year award to?
Chris: I've cut back on the gameday drinking in recent years because I like remembering what happened the next day. But I usually drink three or four of either
FC: What's your prediction for the Skins/Hawks game?
FC: Building on the last question, what are your predictions for the year?
Chris: Quiet as it's kept, the Redskins have been in every single game they've played this year with the exception of the Pats game. They dominated the Packers at Lambeau, but turned the ball over too many times. They had
FC: Jason Campbell or Todd Collins: Who is the Redskins QB of the future?
FC: Who is the MVP of the 2007-08 Washington Redskins?
On the players side, my vote goes to
FC: Is there a Redskins fan nickname for the team or the offense/defense? A la the Steel Curtain, Purple People Eaters, etc.
Chris: Nothing too clever, unfortunately.
FC: What parts of the team as a whole does the organization need to focus on in the upcoming draft?
FC: Just how many coaches are there on the actual coaching staff?
Chris: Does Joe Bugel's hair count as a coach? Cause that hair is awesome.
FC: When Jason Campbell went down, did Redskin Nation have a collective heart attack?
FC: If you had to think of a motto for this year off the top of your head, what would it be? Real quick!
FC: Well, that's it for the questions. Insightful and humorous as always, Chris -- thank you for the interview!

No comments:
Post a Comment